Everyone loves Italian cuisine, so what better way to honour it than by trying out our Rasta Pasta recipe. If you are unfamiliar with what Rasta Pasta is then here’s a little background on it! The term Rasta is short for Rastafari or Rastafarianism, which is a belief and lifestyle that dates back to the 1930s in Jamaica. This dish is typically vegan as Rastafarians do not consume any meat, shellfish, or animal by products such as dairy in their diet.
This Jamaican-inspired recipe will allow you to experience some new and exciting flavours! With a mixture of traditional Italian pasta and Jamaican seasoning, this pasta will expand everyone’s tastebuds!
· 1 cup penne pasta
· 3 colours of bell peppers
· 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
· 1/3 cup of onions
· 1 garlic clove - minced
· 1/2 tsp of salt
· 2-3 springs of fresh thyme
· 1 Tablespoon of jerk sauce (or more or less to your liking)
· 1/2 a pouch of NONA Alfredo Sauce + 1/2-3/4 cup water
· 1/3 cup of grated vegan cheese
1. Boil penne pasta in water with a pinch of salt.
2. Drain and set aside when ready.
3. Use 1/2 of each pepper, and slice in thin/long pieces
4. In a warm pot, add olive oil, onions, garlic, salt, thyme, jerk sauce, and the sliced peppers to the pot to cook down in seasonings.
5. Cook and stir for about 10 minutes.
6. Add 1/2 a pouch of NONA Alfredo + 1/2-3/4 cup water
7. Add in Penne Pasta, and stir in gently
8. Add grated vegan cheese, and continue to stir until cheese melts in the sauce.